View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 12:59 AM   #47
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You contradict yourself. That was exactly what I was talking about.
How so?

Quote:
I am not the one with the head in the sand. You are the one with unrealistic expectations.
Well, I guess that just depends on your individual reality.

Quote:
You want books freely available for everybody.
Honestly I really do. I think that would be an awesome future. A shining path for all mankind that we are probably going to be too ignorant to walk.

Quote:
And still you even acknowledge that writers are trying to make money (won't work for free). That leaves nothing that will be published any more.
Yea I dunno what they are going to do. I'm glad it's not my problem. I am excited to see how it all shakes out. Arguments like this have been around since the printing press and music scores. Personally I feel free access to information will benefit mankind. I think it's going to happen, one way or another. It already is, in many ways, for those who know and reach for it. There's nothing that any publisher can do to stop it.

EDIT: I realized I never answered your point about creators and money. Well, I was reading Dune not too long ago, and the foreword talked about how he didn't expect it to be a commercial success, he just knew he had to get the story out. That's a real writer, as can be seen by the diffference between Frank Herbert and Brian. The Franks of the world will write regardless and it will be awesome. The Brian will find other jobs and we will all be the better for it.

Quote:
Piracy did exist and will most likely always exist. And once it becomes mainstream (as in your dystopian vision), the system will fail. It is far from mainstream right now.
Like I said, I guess that depends on your individual reality and your definition of mainstream. Personally I think if a system can fail, it should. All I'm saying is that this decision, while theorized to have something to do with piracy, will do nothing as usual and the only people affected will be the poor and the non-savvy.

Last edited by sealbeater; 07-23-2018 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Expanding a response.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote