View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 12:45 AM   #35
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The name is what is displayed in the metadata panel. I'm not sure how you can not have that.
I didn't really need it, didn't want another column in my already crowded table, and didn't want to think about how to generate a default from the data already in wikidata, although I might have overlooked something. For now, I just set name to be the same thing as the identifier tag.

In fact, if I can leverage this interface, I might move more of my existing data into it, and just leave two or three columns in my interface to link to it. More to the point, I could make a model that saves data in both places, views all of it, and keeps only 2-3 columns (wdid, identifier, wikidata description) actually stored in my plugin's preferences.

I will have to play with that hidden editor. It would be nice if it had an API that was advertised in the plugin documentation pages as an alternative to the 3 (4?) functions.

Also, I was kind of looking for a way for the wikidata plugin to not step on other plugin's toes. That's why I have a checkbox to disable display of ID's, in case you have a plugin that already does it itself that you want to integrate with.

I intended on actually adding some the id's that other plugins already use as defaults with the display box unchecked, but I haven't gotten around to finding them (I know there are at least 3). IDs that are handled elsewhere can still be imported from wikidata, and eventually I will add something to search for books in wikidata based on linked identifiers to get their wikidata IDs. The wikidata metadata plugin does this already, but only for gutenberg IDs (and ISBNs, but I'm not sure that works).

The point is to have full bidirectional linking between wikidata and other sources; ultimately, linking on any source should cause a cascade of data to become available on all the sources.

(large button)
Quote:
I was caught by that when it was added. And I'd been involved in the discussion to add it.
The button itself is fine, but can we shrink it to a normal size instead of full width?
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote