View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Yes, I know... I meant in the series, not real life! I've stood next to the spot where he was shot on the Victory, saw his shot-up uniform, etc. (and it made me cry). I guess I should have realized that dragons instantly made the series an alternate history, but it was REALLY weird when I got to the scenes with Nelson chatting about Trafalgar! It seems like each book gets even more, um, alternative.
Oh, OK. Wasn't sure you knew.

And when you have the Napoleonic Wars with dragons, things like Nelson surviving Trafalgar are minor divergences, really.

Quote:
My Brother the Rocket Scientist has been trying to get me to read the Honor Harrington books for yonks. I'm a big Hornblower fan and a minor Trekkie, so I can see why.
I recommend them. Weber had a lot of fun working it all out. Among other things, the physics he postulates for the FTL drives used allows him to have ships of the line drawn up in formation in space and whaling away at each other with missles, lasers, and grasers, in a three dimensional equivalent of Napoleonic War naval tactics.

Quote:
And yes, the Cybook has full justification, and in fact it works better with the last firmware upgrade and is my default setting. However, the book settings can override the device if I'm not mistaken. I'm assuming that's what's going on here. I can't imagine why else I can't justify the text. It's really annoying--other than that and the crappy cover art, it's nicely laid out.
I gather the book setting are overriding the reader defaults. That would be an annoyance.

Is the cover out simply a scaled down greyscale conversion of the book cover, or something worse yet? (That's another reason on my part for not wanting eInk till it gets color support. I know an assortment of folks who do SF and fantasy covers, and I shudder to think what their work would look like in greyscale, even with 16 shades.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote