View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #37
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
[/B]QUOTE=TonyToews;2039214]Just did a Google News search on 7" android tablets and a bunch are coming out soon.

1) Note that the Vox has a 1024x600 screen so that is an important criteria if you are looking for another tablet if you are frustrated by the Sleep Of Death.

2) another criteria is the ability to charge via a standard USB port so no proprietary charger is required. So what if it takes eight hours to charge while I'm sleeping.

3) My third criteria is dual core CPU so it's a bit faster and more responsive if multiple things are happening and browsing is a bit better.

4) Bluetooth so I can do more things with external devices. Not sure yet what but hey... Maybe convenient Skyping with a Bluetooth headset. <shrug> External keyboard?

5) Others may want cameras. Not a big deal for me.[/QUOTE]
I got myself a 10.1 Galaxy Tab as alternate to the Vox.. Several points to note about your expectations:
1) the screen is pretty much the same as the Vox's, quality-wise. Display is 1280 X 800 but my Vox looks just as good in my opinion.
2) port is once again proprietary! Looks like an iPad port but isn't the same. On the plus side, 3rd party accessories can be found quite easily and I have gotten a full "kit" with
spare cable, wall charger, car charger, leather case, screen protector, vinyl case, earphone-microphone, stylus for only $49.99 on Amazon.
3) same issues with slow browsing sometimes! Processor is a 1 Ghz dual-core Tegra so that can't be the reason... Certains sites appear to load slowly whether I am using any of 4 browsers (stock Android, Skyfire, Opera or Ninesky)
4) I have Bluetooth but that can be gotten around for the Vox by using wireless instead, lots of compact wireless keyboards and earphones available at good prices...
5) have a camera but don't find myself using it much. Usually use for screenshots and with an app, Vox does that too.
I still use my Vox a lot for reading/writing as it is much more convenient to hold. I use my Galaxy Tab more for video and definitely, when it comes to reading magazines, the Samsung bigger screen is tops.
So my conclusion would be this: why buy another 7" tablet to "replace" your Vox? It does a lot of stuff quite well even when compared with my Samsung which was more than twice the price. And really, it's considered a reader not a tablet! I would get a 10 inch tablet instead so that I could use it to do the things that a 7 inch screen doesn't do as well and then have the choice of which to use depending on the task.
I have no regrets with my Vox, I still use it a lot! Love my Samsung as well, but for different reasons.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote