View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'll have to be honest, the B&W video demo looked rather dire with a ton of ghosting, though the part showing annotations was quite impressive. The colour video was interesting, but I don't know if something with that sort of flicker will really sell. I couldn't help noticing that the demo avoided showing a full-screen page-turn - I suspect their technology has the same problem with page-turn flash-to-reset that eInk does.

Most depressingly: still only 166dpi... WTF.

Yeah, 166dpi is 'good enough' with sub-pixel rendering and I have no problems reading on my Sony, but I'd really like to see display technologies moving towards print-quality resolutions, which start at 300dpi. Video and colour are irrelevant for eBook readers, and alternative technologies all have a LONG way to go before they can rival LCDs in those areas. Despite the web, we all spend a lot of time reading static text, so why not concentrate on developing that niche? eInk has cornered the market for readers and been sitting on its laurels for several years now, and it looks like other technologies are really being developed for low-power phone displays.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote