View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Steeplechase
Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo N647
Question When will eReaders become at least as robust (long lived) as a calculator?

My eReader bit the dust after just two years of very light use. On the other hand my statistical calculator still works fine after 33 years of regular use. When I bought my eReader I expected it to continue to work barring screen breakage, rough handling or moisture exposure as long as other common electronic devices. Though I knew that it would become more and more out of date as new features were added onto readers and even expected that it might become obsolete as data storage devices and formats changed over time, I did not expect it to simply fail.

As a frugal shopper, until eReaders are at least as long lived as a calculator, a portable phone, a remote control, a transistor radio, televisions or even a standard laptop computer I can't see how I would ever purchase another one.

So, when (if ever) do you see them becoming as long lived as other commonly used electronic devices?
Steeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote