View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
No, I wasn't talking about that APN change. It was more directed towards the OP questions.

However, I would take your suggestion with a grain of salt, too. The APN is a much higher layer, but you're still connected to the network authentificated by the SIM. And that's an Amazon authentification and with a different APN, you're using it out of its specification. Well, given that billing in mobile networks usually is by traffic and that this traffic usually gets measured on a certain APN is also true. So you're probably doing no damage to Amazon when using a different APN. But you're still exploiting the fact that you're allowed to that network at all because you have an Amazon SIM.
Ah, right, I did not include a full set of disclaimers...

1) I have not tried this on an Amazon SIM card myself.

2) I do not know if the Amazon SIM card has the APN list (cryptographically) locked.

3) One of the differences between a "US Only" and an "International" is that the SIM card has more than one APN registered in its APN list.

4) The APN list of the SIM card may also be changed from the "provider" side of the communication's link. (This is what happens when you "activate" a new SIM card with a service provider, they write this and other subscriber identification in the "Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) ).

5) If the provider running the cell tower you connect with does not have a business agreement in place for handling calls using an APN name - it just will not place the call for you - no carrier "gives away" calls in the hope that someday they can bill somebody for it.

6) The "TOS" present on my K3-Keyboard is 88 pages long - I think I am only upto page 66 - there may be some conditions in there I haven't read yet.

@Hawhill:
You have mentioned you are a law student; I suppose you read all 88 pages the first chance you had, at least out of curiosity.

Is there any mention in there of changing the 3G modem, its unlocked SIM card information or the SIM card itself?

Last edited by knc1; 04-05-2012 at 07:48 AM.