View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
This isn't correct.
Sony were not doing what Amazon did.
Amazon just send you to Safari to buy from their web interface, they do not offer in-app purchases.
Sony built a store directly into the app, without using the Apple in-app purchasing system. This has always been disallowed, and is not connected to the changes related to subscription charges.
According to the press, even linking to the web page so you can buy from there, is not being allowed, as of June. Apparently the rule has always been there, but was not enforced. Here's something that goes into more detail (from Computerwold):

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...mazon_s_Kindle

I may be misinterpreting, but it looks like it's applied to eBooks. Hopefully this quote from the above is small enough to be within the rules:

Quote:
Publishers and content sellers must remove any links within their apps to outside-the-App Store purchasing options, Apple said, a requirement that means Amazon.com must eliminate the link to the Kindle Store that it currently provides in its iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad apps.

Subscriptions and other digital content can still be sold outside the App Store -- thus sidestepping the 30% cut -- said Apple, but the company will now demand that if that's the case, the app also include in-Store purchases.
So I think Amazon will have to change it's Kindle iPad App to remove any links to the store. I don't think they'll link to the Apple store, marketing wise it seems unlikely, even if they lose a link to their store. If they take away the App entirely, or freeze it, then their customers are not going to be happy, although that might also be what Amazon does, short term, to bring pressure on Apple. Other alternatives exist, of course, including:
  1. Sue Apple, getting an injunction, for monopolistic practices in the Tablet segment
  2. Provide the Application via amazon.com directly (Amazon iPad App store, at least for the Kindle and other Amazon Apps)
  3. Cut a deal with Apple, quid-pro-quo, access on Kindles to Apple iBookstore, for access on iPads to Amazon Bookstore

Probably others, all of which are not particularly likely, but all are at some level possible. There's a lot of money at stake, so I don't imagine Amazon will go down without a fight.

Of course, with all the hiring going on at Amazon of Android programmers, maybe that gives a hint at their eventual direction.

Still, the whole situation is problematical, I'd hate to buy an iPad 2 right now, to find out later I couldn't read a Kindle eBook on it. Granted, not likely, but plausible, given what's going on now.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote