View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Well, a quick check around the more popular sites which give download numbers, some 1000 people have downloaded the torrent which enables them to get this book. Let's triple that to compensate for sites that don't provide numbers. 3000 illegal copies. Add newsgroups (often the step before something hits public bittorrent) and make it an even 5000. Since it appears to be a recent torrent, let's assume that attention will taper off over time as the web has the attention span of a goldfish on crack. I don't know, say, 30,000 illegal copies in your lifetime.

Now the question is, does this (completely fictitious) number translate into lost sales, in other words, if there were no such thing as the internet and piracy and such, would you have gained 30,000 sales over the course of your life? Personally, I do not think so, but there are people who disagree vehemently (most famously the RIAA and MPAA, at least in public statements). Would you have gained a substantial amount of extra sales? Again, I don't think so.

You certainly have gained a lot of attention/eyeballs ( by the way, I also do not believe that everybody who downloads ebooks or the like actually reads them all, plenty of hoarding behavior out there). I don't know how to translate that into money. I don't even know if it does translate into money. Advertisers seem to think so. I think so too, but I don't have hard data of any kind.

And like pilotbob says, there really isn't much you can do. Already five or so torrent sites have picked it up. This number will only increase over time as torrent sites also index torrents on other sites.

Out of curiosity, was your book published electronically? What format was the original sold in on what sites?

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-04-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: make text purtier.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote