View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
My 1 day ereading on iPad review

I got my iPad yesterday and I thought I'd post my thoughts on ebook and comic reading using the device.

I'll start with ebooks. My other main device is a K2i. The iPad is larger, heavier and lacks the hardware page turn buttons I'm used to.

iBooks.
I'd just finished reading the first book in a series on my Kindle so I decided to read the sequel on my iPad (both were drm free from Webscriptions). iBooks has a good selection of fonts and font sizes. Text is clear and readable and unsurprisingly after a few minutes (Like on an eink reader) the device vanishes from your senses and leaves you engrosed in the book. Page turn is simple but I miss hardware page turn buttons. Nice feature is turning the iPad on its side for a double page view.

Book selection for purchase is current rubbish but prices appear to be on par with paperback prices for the stuff I could find. Searching and browsing is painful. They really need to sort this out.

Kindle app
This works just like the iPhone app. Text rather surprisingly is noticebly sharper than in iBooks but in practice it doesn't make much difference. Basic controls are not really any different from iBooks and both work fine. Book selection obviously is the same as for the Kindle. IE. Much better than iBooks

Overall I can see me using the Kindle app more. Selection of books for purchase is better and everything syncs up between my Kindle app devices

I'll reserve final judgement on ebook reading until after I commute to work since I'm not convinced this will be ideal if you catch the sun at the wrong angle.

Comics
My primary comic reading app is Comic Zeal 4. Put simply it's a joy. I tried a selection of comics and some old computer mag scans from the 80s and they were all a pleasure to read. This is the killer electronic device for comic reading.

DC and Marvel take note. I spend a lot of money on comics a week. I don't keep them long. I either recycle or give them away in the end. If I want to keep anything I buy it in trade. Why can't I launch my DC or Marvel app, hit a button and buy my pull list from the comfort of my chair? The Marvel app is nice but the selection of comics is pitiful. DC don't even make it out the gate.

So overall I'm deleriously happy with my iPad but I'll reserve full judgement until I've used it in the great outdoors on the train

How are the rest of you enjoying your iPads?
This works just like the iPhone app
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote