View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #3073
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I finished up Monster Hunter International. I did not realize reading Correia's Black Sword books that he was a Sad Puppy ringleader, but it's unavoidable in this one, where the premise is basically, "What if Blackwater hunted vampires in Alabama?" That said, it's not like the book is a manifesto - aside from ubiquitous gun fetishism, political statements are infrequent. If you can accept that the entire cast is operating in an opaque bubble where the Dunning-Kruger Effect is a palpable force, it's still a 3-star horror-action romp, and the insularity itself is sometimes unintentionally entertaining.

I'm seriously contemplating getting around to Battle Ground and Peace Talks, with maybe a reread or two earlier in the Dresden series, but once again I said, "Nah," and picked something random out of my sale buys. I landed on S.M. Stirling's Dies the Fire, not realizing it's a sort of companion series to the Nantucket books, which were tremendously satisfying. It does mean I'm doubling up on apocalypses, as I'm reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Ministry for the Future with my eyeballs.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote