View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Ok, I've tried the things that have been suggested here, but so far its not working yet. Here's the current situation:

I uninstalled both Calibre and Connect, then used a drive cleaner, a registry cleaner and did a search for any remaining files or folders related to either program and removed these. I also deleted all of the books I've purchased from Connect. Finally, I restarted the computer to try and make sure everything was nice and fresh.

Once I was as certain as I could be that *everything* was gone (and, remember, I'm pretty much a novice at this kind of stuff, so who knows how certain my "certain" is ) I:
  • reinstalled Connect
  • redownloaded the books I'd bought
  • loaded Connect with the Reader plugged in to the USB port. The program had the same long delay, initially displaying only the task bar button before opening an entirely blank panel after about 45 seconds. When I tried to click on the panel to make sure it was in focus, I got the "Not Responding" message.
  • disconnected Reader from Connect and rebooted the computer
  • opened Connect, made sure I could use the client, then plugged the Reader back in to the USB. On a couple of these tries, in the sidebar, it showed the Reader icon with "Error" next to it, which to me indicates that Connect knew it was there, but couldn't do anything with it. On the other attempts, the Windows Explorer panel would open, showing me the contents of the Reader as if it were a normal external drive. When I would click that panel closed, the part of the Connect panel it had appeared over was blanked out, and there was no way to refresh it, so I could no longer use Connect and would have to shut it down.

After verifying that, even though I had completely removed Calibre from my computer and had reinstalled Connect fresh, I still have all the same problems I had with Connect initially, I went ahead and reinstalled Calibre, once again leaving off the drivers.

Of course, Connect STILL isn't working right, but I have found a workaround. It's a bit more time consuming than I'd like, so if I could get Connect up and running again, it'd be nice, but at least I can do pretty much everything I want to by using Calibre.

With Calibre, I've found that I can manually move the books I buy from the directory where Connects puts them to the Reader itself via the Windows Folders panel, and then use the "Add Books" button on Calibre to select the books I've moved to the device. From there, I switch to the Reader view (instead of the Library view) and I can enter tags from there and they'll show up on the Reader as collections. So, thanks kovidgoyal - that's a really nifty tool you've got there!!

The ONLY problem I've having with it is that I thought I'd read around here somewhere that it should be possible to convert the Sony .lrx to .lrf, so that you could use the library functions Calibre has rather than needing to use the Reader view to make any modifications. Again, this isn't a big inconvenience, but I'd been looking forward to being able to use the Series sorting function it has, since I have a few series I'm in the midst of. Unfortunately, that's not something that I can figure out how to edit from the Reader view.

When I tried to do the .lrx to .lrf conversion, here's the error message I got:

Quote:
UnknownFormatError: Coverting from lrx to LRF is not supported.
Failed to perform job: Convert book:Cradle and All
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 679, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 652, in work
File "D:\Program Files\Sony\Calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\ any\convert_from.py", line 164, in main
File "D:\Program Files\Sony\Calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\ any\convert_from.py", line 133, in process_file
UnknownFormatError: Coverting from lrx to LRF is not supported.
Anyway, anyone have ideas on what's going on with Connect? And am I missing something on how to either convert the .lrx to .lrf or use Calibre directly with the .lrx files?

Thanks again!!
Kriselda

thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote