View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Arrow AUS & NZ Residents (& other non-US residents) - Free Library Of Philadelphia Sign Up.

I know there are threads discussing the Free Library Of Philadelphia, but I just wanted to relay my experience in getting a membership there.

I live in Australia, and libraries over here either do not offer e-books or have a very limited collection on offer. I contacted the Free Library after I came across posts on here that said that non-US residents can become members. My first query about a couple of months ago went unanswered.

However, I was able to get the details of someone who worked at the help desk and emailed her directly. She was the best help that I could get. She followed up on my query, and told me that I could pay via International Money Order. When I asked at Australia Post for an International Money Order, they told me that they had stopped making them a while ago. So, I contacted the person again, and she told me that she will look into it and get back to me. And she did. She said that I can pay via credit card, but I will need to send her a filled out application form first. So, I filled out the form, scanned it, and emailed it to her. She was able to create my account and send me my log in details via email. I was able to log in, and the first message I received was that I had an outstanding fee of $15 for a library card. I was able to pay via credit card and now I have online access to the Free Library.

The point of this story? I know there are frustrated reader holds here in Australia and NZ (and other non-US residents) who are trying to find libraries to borrow from. Join the Free Library Of Philadelphia. They have a decent e-book collection and signing up was really a breeze.

I have asked my contact if there is a procedure that non-US residents can go through to sign up, other than everyone going through her, which could be a hassle. I will update once she gets back to me - INFO ADDED BELOW DOTTED LINE.

So, people in Aus & NZ (and other places in the world that isn't the US) do not despair

------------------------------------

She did reply my email and I'll just copy/paste what she said:

"As I don’t know all the procedures, I would advise people you know to print the form and mail it with a check or to use the “Ask a Librarian” link if they need to pay by credit card."

Hope this helps guys!

Last edited by Almas; 08-06-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Adding more info.
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote