Thread: Vox Love my Vox
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
I titled this thread "Love my Vox" which I do, but that creates a problem, my wife wants one too. Now she uses it only to read books, so for Christmas I was thinking I would get her a dedicated ereader like the Kobo Touch, but is that the best choice? She will want to access the library, and read books from Kobo and that's about it. Kobo now has quite a few choices, the Touch has been around the longest, but .............. at present she is reading from our daughter's Kindle, a very basic ereader with eInk screen, is that a better choice? How about someone who owns one or knows a bit about these devices give me a few clues so I will not goof up another Christmas gift. She bought the Vox for me last Christmas and I use it every day for ereading and presentations, and fun surfing the net .............
Kindle uses only Amazon book formats. Your Vox allows you to read these with a Kindle app but for an eReader (unless you want to use Calibre and figure out how to strip DRM) you have to decide what format you want for your books: epub, which is what is available in Canadian libraries for ebook loans, Kobo's book store and many others, or mobi/azw format which is the Amazon format.
I think the sources for your wife's books would likely be the determining factor and since she wants library books, Kobo or Sony readers are the most likely choices for someone in our country.
Sony does allow you to get your library books directly on the device, it's a very easy choice built into the user interface.
But I do like my Kobos too... Even though they don't offer that, they have other advantages ((like the size for my Mini).

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-24-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote