View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Why isn't Sony updating the 505? The same reason they're not selling it: They want us all to dispose of our perfectly good 505's and buy new 600's or 900's that we don't want. They don't make any money off us being happy with our Readers; they make money off us being forced to buy new ones. So whatever they can do to keep us from using our 505's, including not producing updates, refusing support, even taking every last little case off their online store, they're going to do. They (like all too many companies today) want us to keep paying them for what we already have.
Well of course. They are a business and their goal is to make money, for themselves and their shareholders. Personally I'd love to see some updates with added functionality, but I'm not expecting them and I'm not going to be upset if they don't come out with them. If there were a problem I would certainly expect them to correct it, but as far as getting something for free, while it would be nice I certainly don't expect it. This is the same with almost any other product cell phones, computers, PDAs, etc.. they will provide updates to correct problems and maybe some updates or minor freebies that are outside of their core functionality, but little else unless you pay for it. You get Windows security patches for free, but you have to pay to upgrade the OS itself, maybe the reader manufacturers should do the same - create a new version that you pay $50 for?

As for wanting you to get rid of your "perfectly good" reader, I'm not being sarcastic but, if it is perfectly good, why consider getting rid of it? Doesn't it still do the job you initially bought it for? If you find that it no longer meets your needs, it's not the device's fault, it is your changing needs and requirements.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote