View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I have told Alex of your suggestion, orwell2k.
But he's having an incredibly busy period at work, so it may be a while before he can get round to considering the forum reorganisation. So please don't be concerned about a delay.
Just following up on this ol' chestnut...

I've been less than active on this forum for a while, with just a few sporadic posts since Jan 2009. However, I'm slowly getting back into it and have noticed that there still hasn't been any follow-up to my initial request.

Granted there is likely to be a general bias toward Sony and Kindle forums since the majority of members are probably Sony/Kindle owners. However, clearly there is an increasing number of users interested in alternative devices to the big boys (i.e. Sony, Kindle, Iliad).

Looking back over my initial request, I agree having a dedicated BeBook forum doesn't make sense, since there is so much overlap with BeBook, V3, IBook, EZ Reader (same hardware, very similar firmwares). But I would like to raise the flag a little and think this forum has an obligation to draw more attention to these alternative devices, especially for newbies who no doubt (speaking from personal experience) get overwhelmed with info on Sony and Kindle, whilst having to really dig for any info on the alternatives.

Could we please get the forum title for the Hanlin entry changed to reflect the device variants clearly:

Hanlin eReader V3 (BeBook / IBook / EZ Reader / Walkbook / Papyre 6.1)

If necessary, older Hanlin device threads can go into a Hanlin Legacy forum, but maybe this iis overkill.

I would also suggest changing the sub-heading: "Chinese counterpart to the Sony Reader" as there is a lot of confusion over this throwaway phrase. Again, it stems from the inhernet Sony bias as a comparative device example, but times are changing and I think we need a better description, perhaps:

"Chinese manufactured eInk device distributed internationally as several variants"... or some such wording - perhaps some other users may have better suggestions for this text?

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth.
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote