View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 02:48 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
pretty much all cards you can buy today, should be fast enough for ebook readers. it won't change some things being slow...

a lot of operations will run from ram (cache) anyway, the devices have plenty of ram (for ebook reader) which is rarely ever actually used.
There are cards that may do fast sequential (necessary for high resolution photos or videos) but still have abysmal 4K performance. Like way below HDD level: 0.05MB/s or less. The good ones tend to perform at HDD level as far as small block goes.

Granted, I can be a bit exacting as I need my cards to deal well with apps and full Linux OS (well, Raspberry Pi and before that, Nook Color and Android devices). You may be right that even 0.05MB/s suffices for the Kobo. After previous experience with constant crashing though, I wouldn't take a chance on a card/flash drive that needs to run an OS when the price difference is usually just a couple of bucks.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote