View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #114
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
The devil is in the details, though. Suppose I published an extremely racist book or a book that had shared embarrassing details about somebody, so I stop distributing it. After 25 years, a random person can take my book and start publishing it again? Copyright is also my right not to publish.
Copyright is a privilege/right granted to authors to promote culture and the writing of books. It gives the author an incentive to write knowing that he can probably make some money during the copyright period. It is understood that at the end of the copyright period the book goes into the public domain, thus giving something to the public in whose name the privilege/right is given.

If you take advantage of copyright you cannot turn round and say I do not want the book to enter the public domain because you do not want it distributing any more. If you do not wish a book to be distributed do not publish it. If you do publish it and change your mind later, then tough. You have taken advantage of copyright and should pay your dues.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote