View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthFL View Post
Hello I'm new to the forum but I need help with my kindle paperwhite problems.
Recently, I've been saving documents to my paperwhite in text format using openoffice, then converting them to mobi via calibre to read on my kindle...
For some reason, the formatting is now ignoring the original format where say, part of the story has two people talking, so say Jarod says his bit, then Sydney replies on a separate line...
the mobi download now has both characters on the same line which is very confusing?
I tried uploading the same story in odt format to calibre but then the mobi download then spreads out the words so I may have two letters of the word, then spaces, then the rest of the word on the next line?
Is it just me...can anyone help?

Ruth
Hi Ruth;

Could you post here a screenshot of what you are getting after conversion and some image of what you would want to get? Of that way would be easier to help

For the moment, and since you are using OpenOffice, I could tell you that would be better for you, to format your document the best you can (use left-aligning, center-aligning, right-aligning, justify-aligning, different fonts size, bold and italic letters, etc., etc.) and after that, save your document as .html (filtered .html, not as .txt). After that, you can convert that .html in .mobi with "Kindlegen" (is free and you can download it from the Amazon site). Of that way you'll get better results that working with .txt files and Calibre.

Regards
Rubén

NOTE: Another choice for you is to save your document as .doc and to use the Amazon conversion service. Since you have a Kindle Paperwhite you can use that service. Just email the .doc to your e-mail address with Amazon and in a few minutes you'll have your .mobi in your mailbox.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 06-19-2014 at 03:51 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote