View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you display Formats as a column that will slow things down
If you have custom columns derived from other columns that can slow things down

I think Calibre calls Mobileread when it starts - to look for PI updates
I also think Calibre calls home when it starts - to look for updates and to update its usage stats
I don't know if those features can be turned off

Is it possible that that the device where your library resides, has not spun up to speed? I have a library on a removable usb drive that's set to spin down after 10 minutes of inactivity. If I open that library (I rarely do because its its an end-of-day backup), then I have to wait 10-15 secs for the drive to spin up.

I use MSE on the same rig as you, and I exclude nothing. I have Calibre using colleagues who run AVG, Avast and ESET they also exclude nothing. Each of us experiences sub 5 sec start up times on similar rigs as your own.

Setting AV exclusions is not best practice, and these days it rarely fixes anything - a decade or more ago it might have done, especially with some better known security suites - but even they are better behaved now.

However, if you're not using a 'mainstream' AV and/or firewall solution or you have any reason to think it could be security related then - pull the plug on the internet, disable the AV and the Firewall, do a cold boot and see if that makes any difference - it probably won't but you will at least know that they are not the culprits, then turn them back on and leave them as was.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote