View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #66
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
And now, we finally get to the whole point. "Can their service be better? Sure!" That's ALL I am saying. You SHOULD desire a clean well-crafted book from their service. But I guess it would not be fair to complain too loudly...from what you said smashwords does all this "work" for free. No fees, no percentage of your profits taken out....you do "get what you pay for" as the saying goes. (Just a little snarkiness intended there...but not much...it is a valid point after all )

Again, I wish you the best of luck in your, and smashwords', endeavors!

Cheers!
And here we have the problem.

If you want to limit your point to the quality of output of the meatgrinder scripts, that is a different point then I have been making in my OP, and throughout this thread.

My point in starting this thread was to counter a different argument. The argument to this point has been "If you put Smashwords on your book, everyone knows they produce garbage so it will not sell." That is the argument that my points all DO counter.

The output of any automatic script is always inferior due to the vastness of the input space. It has to be so overly defensive that the output suffers. Frankly I have not been happy with Amazon's tool to make Mobi's either. But that does not mean I am not going to sell on Amazon. That would cut 75% of my fans out. While I do have the option (and I use it) to make mobi's to send to them, they still go through some conversion on their end because what comes out the other side is not exactly what I put in.

Also, I do not see Smashwords as a FREE service. They take a cut of the sales. I see it as a business model that I can afford. Some companies charge flat rates, some charge a combination of rates, and so on. Smashwords model I can afford, but I do not see it as free. I do not mind paying them for what they do, they deserve their share, but to call them free I think is a bit misleading.

VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote