View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The PID of your Kindle can be derived from the Kindle's serial number. This is complex, but there is a python script around called "kindlepid.py" that does the hard work for you.

However, even having obtained your Kindle's PID, you might be out of luck for this route - some distributors of Mobipocket books won't accept Kindle PIDs for use with Mobipocket books.

In that case, your only options are either to get a refund, or to strip the Mobipocket DRM from the file. The Kindle can read any Mobipocket file that doesn't have DRM.

There are differing opinion on whether stripping DRM for personal use is against US law.

It's definitely worth checking the mobipocket files available here at mobile read. They're all DRM free and will work on the Kindle, and are generally of higher quality than the usual public domain ebooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
I am currently charging my Kindle for the first time. I had already dowloaded Mobipocket Reader and one huge collection of "Works Of". I opened Mobipocket reader and clicked on "send". I was asked for the name of my device - I made up a suitable name. Next question was "What is the PID of your device?" I have no idea! Is that the Serial Number? Have I just wasted $19.99?
I'm sorry to be so clueless but would really appreciate your help.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote