View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #58
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@drMerry
As for running the scan in the background, that isn't going to happen anytime soon I'm afraid. The only background processing mechansim I have seen in Calibre is the "Jobs" stuff that gets used for when you convert books. However the risk with it (and possibly the same reason why stuff like download metadata doesn't run in the background) is that you have all the concurrency issues of two different things updating the same book record at the same time. I don't know if you have ever noticed but it is possible to lose your newly converted book from a job if you happen to be editing metadata for the same book at the same time the job completes.
Is it possible to use a dialog-box to the process so you could tell callibre to stop the process (directly or after the check of the current pdf is completed)?

I had once selected all my books and by mistake started the plugin.
I can tell you. It takes a long time to check all 3250+ books (stored on network-drive in use with other processes and with old pdf-engine causing all my pdf-files complete parsed (books of 1400+ pages is no rarity in my lib)

So a abort option would be welcome.
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote