View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 05:10 AM   #12
Wallace Lee
Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura second edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Oh, and I definitely agree that most bad novels would be improved by cutting. When something is bad, shorter is always better. This in and of itself tells you something about the nature of cutting material from your own work.
To put it short, I somewhat failed in explaining me.
After *the first draft*, I think that ANY work can get very better by simply cutting some parts.
All in all, writing is the most powerful way of brainstorming anyone can rely on, but every writing process has a 'focusing phase'... And at the end of this phocusing phase, you wrote some pages in order to brainstorm yourself only.
As a matter of fact, almost every single novel I ever read in my life had some pause moments due to the fact that the writer was improvising some parts of his plot and needed to write 'something else' while trying to 'undestand' how the plot was going to continue.

With time and seeing that improvisation is the best way of brainstorming while writing, I became an avid improviser, and very much in the way Stephen King uses to do ("every single time I write a novel, I fear failure. Even nowadays" his words in 2014. Anyway, he always described himself like an 'explorer' of ideas, not a 'builder').
I don't even now if my works will become tales or novels, while I am writing: if a lot of subplots and new characters 'comes from nowhere', I let the starting idea become a novel.
On the other side, if the ending breaks in fast with no other parts needed, I write it down immediately.
My only rule is to work on one work only at time.

Anyay, whatever happens, there will always be some 'focusing' pages it's my duty to get rid of.
I think that if a writer improvise a lot, there will be more.
If he improvised very little, there will be less.

But there always are, and when I cut them down, a part of me would like to let them stay even if I know that it's wrong. And the reason is that I am attached to everything I wrote, the good parts as the bad ones.

Last edited by Wallace Lee; 07-28-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Wallace Lee is offline   Reply With Quote