View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
arjaybe, I might have been inclined to agree that even the out of context quote should be understandable if it wasn't for the evidence of the 'net, where everyone is busy making up their own interpretations (including me ). I actually think that the "stop writing for your ego" explanation is probably the best match for what I think Faulkner meant (I assume he was paraphrasing Quiller-Couch). I think it probably qualifies as ironic: if he'd just said what he meant everything would be fine and everyone would understand, but because he was being clever with his words, misunderstanding abounds.

graham, it is probably true enough that if you've left something behind where it is noticeable you were trying to be clever then it should be given a stern looking at ... but I have my doubts (based on my own experience) that these happen any more often than all those places where I've just been ordinarily stupid.

cinisaoy, I generally consider adjectives and adverbs a separate topic, although I have seen instances where it appears the author was trying to be clever with their adverbs.

It may just be that I've seen one too many Amway presentations or something, but little meaningless or misleading phrases like "kill your darlings" offend me. (In case you hadn't noticed.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote