View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
moonfaerie24
moonfaerie24 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
My library doesn't seem to sort correctly

I read in the Graphical User Interface's Search and Sort area that you should, for example, be able to click the Title column, then the Author column in order to sort by author and have all books by the same author sorted by title. What I actually want to sort by is Series, but I'm having some problems. At first it would not sort correctly by title or series, but after going through my entire library and fixing some inconsistencies this solved most, but not all, of my problems. I have one series that refuses to sort by Series, and another that won't recognize the title correctly. Since what I would like is to have all my books sorted by Author then by Series I'll start there.

If I click Series, then Author it will look like this:
Fire, Kristen Cashore, The Seven Kingdoms [2]
Bitterblue, Kristen Cashore, The Seven Kingdoms [3]
Graceling, Kristen Cashore, The Seven Kingdoms [1]

Instead of sorting 1, 2, 3 it goes 2, 3, 1. I've been into the metadata over and over again trying to make sure I didn't include an extra space somewhere or that I spelled everything exactly the same, or some other error like that, but have not been able to find anything.

The other problem I'm having is that for one book series it won't recognize that "The Amulet of Samarkand" is the same as "Amulet of Samarkand, The" which is the default for every other book in my library. For example when I look at metadata for "The Giver" and click the little arrow between title and title sort it automatically fills in with "Giver, The". When I try this with "The Amulet of Samarkand" it just puts "The Amulet of Samarkand" into title sort. This problem isn't as big of a deal for me as the other one, but it still shouldn't be happening so I would like to know the cause/ solution.

Any help, especially with the first problem, would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Thanks to kovidgoyal my naming problem has been solved. For some strange reason those books were set to Spanish and not English.

Edit 2: Thanks to kovidgoyal (again) and DoctorOhh I've fixed the sorting problem as well. It was in fact the same problem for both issues: one of the books was randomly set to Spanish, so it failed to disregard the "The".

Last edited by moonfaerie24; 09-17-2013 at 11:15 AM.
moonfaerie24 is offline   Reply With Quote