View Single Post
Old 11-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #129
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
The point i was making was nothing to do with drm (as such) or epub being 'better'
Amazon are basically converting reading to a streaming service, where the content ison their servers and they stream the presentation to the device
Even today I guess the vast majority of kindle users do not bother with offline copies, their books are on Amazon servers available on demand.
I do keep my Calibre libraries in the cloud as well but I also keep multiple offline backups.
Can you be sure Amazon will still exist in 20 years? That your home territory and Amazon will be under compatible legal systems. Etc etc. A lot can happen in 2 or 3 decades and even if it's only a one in a thousand chance that's still one too many for me.
The point is that the people who are concerned about it are able to back up their books. Isn't that really the only important thing?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote