View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #286
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Have you done Canada? Might I suggest The Grey Islands by John Steffler. Might be hard to locate, but it's been on my potential read list and will probably get read this year. Heck you could even use it and call it Newfoundland as another country. Hang the flag, it really is a distinct place within Canada. For Canada, I'm going to suggest another book I haven't read, Tropic of Hockey or On a Cold Road: Tales of Adventure in Canadian Rock by Dave Bidini. On a Cold Road was one of the books they debated on Canada Reads.
Thank you for the suggestions, which sound very appealing. Fortunately I'm not limited to only one Canadian book! I've got Ian Ferguson's Village of Small Houses on my TBR stack; have you read it? And I'm also rationing myself on Donald Jack, so I always have a treat when I need one.

As for Newfoundland, it wasn't even part of Canada until 1949? I think. When my father was in the US Coast Guard in the mid-50s, his ship had a home berth in Placentia (They did ice berg spotting.) I wish he were still here so I could ask him about it.

I think I've only read one book set in Newfoundland, Come from Away by Dennis MacFarlane, which I loved.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote