View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #68
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
A long time ago, I produced some kepubs that uses a span per paragraph. And I think some early versions of the extended driver did as well. I don't remember there being issues with the reading position. It's coarse enough that it should handle just about anything. But, I think there was an issue with bookmarks.

Putting the trailing spaces outside the spans shouldn't be a problem with the reading position. Except maybe if the end of a sentence was the end of a page. The stored position is the first character on a page. If that was to be the spaces after a sentence, I don't know what would happen. There is a problem with highlighting. If you highlight so that it starts or ends on the spaces outside the span, and save that, when you reopen the book the highlight isn't displayed properly. An early version of the extended driver did this. I remember discussing it in the driver's thread.
I came to kepubs pretty late, not until I had the big screen of a KA1, when the old enforced book title header didn't bother me so much. So I missed all the early discussions of the KTE plugin.

I never risked trying one koboSpan per paragraph because currently Kobo's method for koboSpans only seems to contain text not other tags. I wasn't sure what the consequences might be.

I don't really have much use for highlighting, but if I did and starting/ending a highlight on a space caused problems then I think I'd use the same approach as that old Doctor-Patient joke ...

Quote:
Patient: Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Well, don't do that, then!
On the whole, my priority has always been to make the text look as "book-like" as I can get it. Everything else is secondary. I know that this is not necessarily a majority viewpoint.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote