View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #771
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
Thanks for the comments. Most of that is on our wish list - except scroll mode. Cool feature for sure, but probably not in the cards for this year. Would you want continuous scroll through the entire book? If not, how would it be broken up? We could make that single "page" but seems that would only make sense if authors actually used the "Page Map" extension to EPUB spec, and I've rarely seen that used.
A scroll mode will be very useful to use with skimming reading to force a read speed. However I know it is a little bit difficult because you need to build almost entirely the screen bitmap (or build it as fast as user scrolls)... Tomes (another ebook reading app not updated for retina) has that scroll mode: it does in a chapter basis. Once you've finished a chapter, you need to wait until next is loaded. I think it uses each HTML epub chunk to do that.

However it can be done on the fly. You only need specify some max speed and compose next pages (and destroy precedent ones) by a cache basis. It's difficult but I did some similar time ago for Windows CE 5... Battery usage could be a problem, of course.

Other way, if you do all except scroll mode... you will have the best reading app in the world!
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote