View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Take a look at grouped search terms (preferences -> searching). These allow you to create virtual columns that contain the union of the values in the underlying columns.

The idea: assuming that the series are not hierarchical, create 2 or more series columns. Use these columns to assign all the necessary series to a book. It would be best to be consistent, using the same column for a given series. Now create a grouped search term that "contains" all the series columns. Use this term for searching, and calibre will automatically search across all the underlying columns. "Make user categories" for the grouped search term if you want to be able to search the term from the tag browser.
That's a good point, but it doesn't get around the inconvenience of needing to set up a separate custom column for every collection. Calibre doesn't have a built-in method of assigning a book to an arbitrary number of series. That's why I mentioned the Reading List plugin. Although I don't use it myself, I believe it allows you to add books to any number of lists.

Another option if you don't care about the order of a book in a particular collection, is to set up a single tag-style column to list the collections that a book is part of.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote