Thread: Sci-Fi/Fantasy
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 12:26 PM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I agree that it doesn't sound like hard SF, but it does sound like SF.
My point in bringing up Poul Anderson's Brain Wave was to sort of agree with you. SF doesn't have to be hard SF to be good But it should be at least plausible. Brain Wave is plausible.

Quote:
He did good things for the genre, yes. He was also racist and sexist, and that also had an impact on early science fiction. (This is an interesting and IMO fairly balanced comment on his legacy.)
Sure. Any slagging on Campbell is likely fair and accurate. If they want to change the name of the award or whatever, that is fine with me.

I only bring him up to say that the changes in science fiction under his editorship and the fruits of it are what I think of as science fiction. Sure, there was Verne and Wells and stories here and there. But it was Campbell's editorship of Astounding that gave science fiction a foundation (and Foundation).
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote