View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
santosha
Novice
santosha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
IMHO, it's a bad idea to use paragraph tags for chapter headings. Use heading tags (h1...h6) with ids instead. For example:

Code:
<h1 id="c1">Chapter 1</h1>
This is equivalent to:

Code:
<a name="c1"></a><h1>Chapter 1</h1>
You may want to check out Sigil. Even though it's a ePub editor you can use it to create .mobis too, because both KindleGen and Calibre will accept epubs as source files. You can also automatically generate NCX and HTML TOCs with it if you use heading tags.
Many thanks Doitsu!

I will check out Sigil and give it a whirl.

I was under the impression that heading (<hn>) tags were more difficult to style, since they already have some embedded styling and any additional styling given to them via CSS might create conflicts due to the way e-readers handle headings. Is this incorrect?

Can I for example use <hn> tags to style Part- and chapter headings, and then also add elements such as text-indent:0em;, italics, and so on? Do heading tags style with relative sizes (ems)? That was the beauty I was happy to have found with styling headings with p class tags, since I could use relative units to make sure they always remained in correct relativity.

Thanks so much for all the help on the basics, it's really appreciated!
santosha is offline   Reply With Quote