Thread: Glo Glo Battery Problems
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #373
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Thinking about this in more detail, I offer the following:

Go to the Home screen and touch and release(tap) a book from the carousel while noting the tap doesn't register until you remove your finger... In other areas Hold it too long and it registers as a long tap or selection depending on where you are in the interface. Touch and hold wishlist and it highlights the selection but doesn't go there until you release, etc.

I think perhaps the drain is just the neonode hardware keeping the IR LEDs on continuously because a "touch" (interruption) occurred before shutdown and it's waiting for a release. Because it's in the middle of sensing an event it may ignore whatever command is being issued to power it down. A 1000 mah battery like we have would be depleted in about 72 hours if the IR LEDs and neonode are drawing only ~13.5 ma.

Like I said, wild ass guess based on what others have directly observed, but it might be close to explaining what is actually happening. I don't think it really is a case of a firmware bug drawing excessive current. I think it's just a matter of the IR hardware getting stuck waiting for a "touch event" to conclude. My guess is that under normal usage the IR LEDs are time multiplexed possibly at a lower power level or PWM ratio to create a lower powered grid of IR beams, but may be maintained continuously until whatever is breaking the IR beams is removed once a touch event is sensed which would explain depleting the battery in 72 hours or so.
Whilst I hadn't got to the point of analysing it that far, in the back of my head I had been assuming the same sort of thing.

Quote:
The question comes down to how the neonode chip works & communicates, and whether there is another way they can force it to shut down, if my conjecture is even correct. I really need to find and read that neonode chip's data sheet.
True, but, as far as I can tell, the old Touch doesn't have the same problem, so there is a way of doing it, at least with some hardware. As I said, I haven't had time to look at what the differences are between the two Touches, but my initial assumption was that the Glo is a Touch with LEDs. Now, after what has been said, it seems that the new Touch is a Glo without lights, so I now assume the mobo is different. The implications of that need to be assessed.

Quote:
Another possibility might be to shut the unit down manually by flicking the switch while the cover is still open in order to provide time for the neonode to shut down prior to closing the cover, and just run the code to check for the absence of the magnet to wake it back up as long as that option was turned on in the settings. I really just think it comes down to a timing issue where you need to make sure it's shut all the way down before anything gets a chance to block the IR.
Agreed in all respects.

Quote:
A far simpler solution is to make sure there is nothing floppy to block the IR. A bit of crazy glue or a stitch or two might solve the problem...
I would never consider a cover with somethnig that would touch the screen - it seems to defeat the object of the exercise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
My first test last night:
- I used the slider to sleep the Mini
- I tried to drop a balled handkerchief on the screen at the same time (the book cover was starting to show but wasn't fully displayed)
When I checked in the morning there was no drain, even though a small decrease could have been expected (the battery is stuck at 56% since the last 42 hours).

I'll try again with different changes, starting with the delay between using the slider and putting something on the screen.

Note: I can turn pages with the handkerchief, thus I think it makes a valid thing to put on the screen while being gentle enough for not scratching it or something. If I'm wrong in my guessing, please let me know.
I am using a postcard bent into a 'Z' shape and placed diagonally with the folds parallel to the screen so it interrupts both X and Y sensors. Last night I also tried letting my old-model Touch sleep automatically with the interruptor in place. Once again, no significant drop in charge overnight.

I'm being forced to go out for the day, so I'll probably be back tomorrow!!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote