View Single Post
Old 10-27-2019, 05:27 PM   #25
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,980
Karma: 1900021
Join Date: May 2016
Device: lLenovo Yoya tab plus , fire HD10 HDX8.9,
Yes, DNS issues cause all sorts of hard to debug problems....
Two that I had. In one case I had modified a tablet wireless connection, to set static IP , which meant I had to type in a DNS. Plex was taking ages sometimes to find a server, and also some web pages would load very slowly,. But others were fine. I did all sorts of uninstall, reboot... Eventually found out I had made a typo on the alternate DNS entry, but not the main one. So I had an unpredictable error as it's not obvious when, why the alternate DNS value gets used.
2nd example, just yesterday turned on a tablet that had been in storage for a few months. Most apps worked but BBC and netflix both kept saying no internet. And play store updates were stuck on pending... Once again I power cycled, cleared caches, reinstalled... No joy. Tablet had been working perfectly before I shut it down for a few months, I was only starting it up again for a battery health check
Turned out I had the DNS in my preferred WiFi set to a smart DNS proxy subscription service which I had stopped paying for, so Geo sensitive things where the proxy would kick in, like netflix and BBC, were failing but other stuff was ok. That also needed a lot of headscratching and induced a fair degree of panic

So for simplicity, set your DNS to Google. 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4. in the network adaptor ip4 properties and see what that cures. Setting it there , on device , will take precedence over any settings in your router, for that device. I like Google for testing as it's easy to remember and to type, and ts also a good DNS.
stumped is online now   Reply With Quote