View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclauzel View Post
Uh ? Are you sure of this. I have only ePub (v2 and v3) on my AuraHD (uploaded manually, not via Calibre) and I am able to choose my font for rendering the text, as well as specifying the margins, interlines, sharpness, etc.

The publishing industry is going to the direction of a unique standardised format: ePub3. They probably learn their lesson watching over the fiasco of the musical industry: incompatible formats for the player, non-standard metadata, etc.

For me, the kepub format is a regression. The metadata concerning the user reading are no part of the file format, but must be kept separately. Amazon is forcing a walled environment for the Kindle for locking-in the user, but complains are growing (at least in Europe) over the consumer's rights of interoperability and sharing.
Actually, this is a reason I like Kobo, the fact that they actively support epub on their devices (even their phone app will import epubs). Kepubs are also based on epubs, but just with "added functionality". Normally you can choose between epub and kepub if you want. The bad thing is that as I said, you normally can choose. I dislike when I have no choice on format or reading platform. But that's a different story/discussion as it's not a question of what advantages there are but on the hardware and software philosophies behind the different companies and such. If I didn't have the choice of epubs on Kobo I would most likely not like the company so much, it's one of the reasons I dislike Kindle/amazon. But like I said, over 95% of the time we can choose with Kobo (now if they would only fix that last five percent...)

One thing though. I hope that kepubs are updated in parallel with epub3 (otherwise it would most likely become an inferior format).
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote