View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #40
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2, Moto G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Now I remember. But, that was a problem that existed in one firmware version that was replaced after three days. If it doesn't fix anything else, it isn't a particularly useful option.
According to some emails I have recieved (I haven't checked this myself), it has helped with certain ebooks which don't show their styles otherwise. As for me, I find it a useful debugging option in certain cases.

Quote:
Yes, I can read code, but most can't or won't. And nothing in the code tells me why the changes exist. Is it fixing a firmware bug, a book bug, or because that's the way you think it should be.
Most optional changes are for firmware bugs or customization, most unusual mandatory changes are to fix issues reported to me about differences in the kepub and epub renderer. The nbsp replacement is one of these (they don't show otherwise). The smart punctuation is my opinion (it isn't as heavy handed as others though), and the others are just code cleanups which make no difference otherwise (like the ms tags and the indentation of the opf). I'll work on documenting them all as I work on v3.

I beg to differ on that (but I give you the smart punctuation one). The replacement character is to fix char encoding bugs, and makes no difference otherwise. Not doing the nbsp replacement causes side effects in itself.

Quote:
And for the record, I'm terrible at documentation and know I write it from the point of view of the developer. I keep hoping someone will point out the problems (missing, unclear, errors or anything) but it rarely happens
Reminds me of myself . I have to work hard not to write like that, but I find it hard as I have to consciously hide certain details which would be relevant to developers. That's why I kept giving up on writing kobopatch documentation (but I'll get around to it sometime...).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote