View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
So, I know that the standard 8GB in the Clara HD can hold thousands of books. Which is quite a few thousand more than I currently own/have.

However, if I were so inclined, what would I look for in a memory card to make the loading/reading of ebooks faster?

I see lots of benchmarks on micro SD cards, and they have basically 6 categories : sequential read, sequential write, 512K read, 512K write, and 4k read, and 4K write.

The small 4K read/write are always slower than sequential read/write. And I wonder, with a ePub that is maybe half a MB, would the 4K read/write be an important factor?

And does anyone know if the hardware in the Kobo devices will be limiting to take advantage of a $50 top-speed card?
The sequential read/write and 512K read/write seem to have little influence on the performance of Kobo ereaders where I have upgraded the internal card. the 4K read/writes seem to have much more effect. The large block performance numbers make a difference on videos and photos where you are dealing with multi-megabyte files. The average ereader filesize is much smaller.

Also remember that part of the card is used by the operating system and Linux and it's descendants are very fond of reading and writing small blocks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote