View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #22235
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
couldn't sleep at all last night,
Just a-thinking of you.
Baby things weren't right.
Well I was tossing and turnin',
Turnin' and tossing,
Tossing and turnin' all night.

I kicked the blankets on the floor,
Turned my pillow upside down.
I never never did before,
Because I was tossing and turnin',
Turnin and tossing,
Tossing an turnin' all night.

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uEPDEJbJu0 )

Good morning, all. I hope you slept better than I did last night... Wow! What an uncomfortable way to spend 7 hours... horrible nightmares, wrenching neck pain, burning shoulder pain, asleep, awake, asleep, awake... then to wake up this morning completely pain-free? I don't understand

Oh well... on with today. I starts with a mug of Ahmad's "English Breakfast" tea, a bowl of rice, kimchee, and chicken. That'll get me going in the right direction. I have my 'Senior Citizen Conversation Class' this afternoon. We'll continue where we left off last week, with our 'Asking for, and giving directions,' as these folks all travel often. They have the time. You'd be amazed at just how poorly some people are at giving directions. And I'm not talking about the language difficulties... Adding in too much detail (go 11 paces to the yellow and white cross-walk, turn 90 degrees left, then starting with your right foot, cross the street...) is usually the biggest problem. The second is using compass directions. If there are four stores on four corners, saying the shop you want is on the NW corner is only easy if the listener knows north from south. But if they do know, the compass is the easiest way to get from the station to the museum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Stitchawl - Those colors are amazing. Is that called "super saturated"? Is it a setting on the camera or truly what comes out when you take the picture with a regular camera? I like that the tree stands out amongst the tea.
Yes, that is called 'super saturated.'
I was tempted to use a photo editing program to make the tea look more vibrant, but I didn't want to detract from the red of the Maple or the yellow of the Ginko. Yes, my camera has a setting so I can adjust the saturation of the image right in the camera. When shooting film, we have the choice of using a highly saturated film like Fuji Velvia, a medium saturation such as Fuji Provia, or no saturation at all (for portraits) such as Fuji Portra. (Kodak, Agfa, and Illford also have their own saturation or color specialties. Some are better for Yellows and Orange [Kodak,] or Reds and Purples [Agfa,] Fuji is best for Green, etc.) When digital cameras came first came out, we were missing this ability to adjust for landscapes or portraits. The newer camera have it.

But I increase the 'appearance' of saturation by using two or more different filters over the lens when I shoot. I use a 'polorizing filter' which can REALLY make the colors jump out at you when use correctly, combined with a 'Graduated Neutral Density filter' which blocks the light from part of the image... in this case from the sky, making the sky appear much bluer. When shooting over water, I often use two Grad Neutral Density filters; one from the top and the other from the bottom. Today, a lot of this can be achieved with PhotoShop, but it never looks quite the same...

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 11-21-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote