View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #52
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Hear, hear. Anyone who can encourage people to read a tome like "Anna Karenina" deserves credit, in my opinion. Here is a link to Oprah's past recommendations:

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahsb...0701_orig_list

Not too shabby. I also happen to think she's a smart, savvy woman. Smart and savvy enough to become powerful and rich. As in the case of Martha Stewart, I think a lot of the flack coming her way (I'm not referring to MR members, save maybe for an outlier) is due to the fact that she's powerful, rich, AND a woman. Never underestimate the subtleness of misogyny. Just my opinion.

Full disclosure: I do not watch Oprah (not having a teevee makes doing that a bit difficult, but I also prefer Ellen--she's way funnier), and I do not read books based on her recommendations. But I wouldn't not read books just because she recommended them.
Ahh see here is where I lose. I didn't know she recommended Middlesex, and it is on my list to read. And read it I will, my mom loved it and she has great taste in books.

AGHHHH I'M MELTING, MEEELLLTTTIINNG!!!

He he
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote