View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #50
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am unfamiliar with the lady (other than the knowledge that she is an American "chat show" hostess), but I would say that if she gets a lot of people to read books who would otherwise not have done so, that can only be a good thing, regardless of her taste in books.
Hear, hear. Anyone who can encourage people to read a tome like "Anna Karenina" deserves credit, in my opinion. Here is a link to Oprah's past recommendations:

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahsb...0701_orig_list

Not too shabby. I also happen to think she's a smart, savvy woman. Smart and savvy enough to become powerful and rich. As in the case of Martha Stewart, I think a lot of the flack coming her way (I'm not referring to MR members, save maybe for an outlier) is due to the fact that she's powerful, rich, AND a woman. Never underestimate the subtleness of misogyny. Just my opinion.

Full disclosure: I do not watch Oprah (not having a teevee makes doing that a bit difficult, but I also prefer Ellen--she's way funnier), and I do not read books based on her recommendations. But I wouldn't not read books just because she recommended them.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote