Thread: DRM = BAD
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Right, I get that but what if five years from now Sony dumps Connect & the whole ebook thing (like they're doing with the music store)? Say then my 505, or whatever Sony device, dies sometime after that. I'll be out of luck since there will be no new device or way for me to register a used replacement. It's not a big deal for me since I own exactly one book from Connect, but it's one of my main fears with DRM. There's no guarantee whatever company will be around 5, 10, 20 years from now. My pbooks will virtually last & be usable forever & my ebooks should too.
Let's take another look at DRM using Mobipocket. You purchase books in Mobipocket format thinking that because there are a lot of devices that read the format you will be OK in the future with their DRM. But, you have replaced your old devices with new ones that have different PIDs (including your computer). You go to setup your new PIDs at the online shop you purchased the books, But you find that the shop is no longer in business. What do you do then? You have new devices you want to use to read your books with, but you cannot get the PIDs updated. You can either go to another online shop and purchase the book again with your new PIDs or you can do without. Take Amazon.com. If you previously purchased ebooks from there and want to update the DRM and redownload, if it's past 1 year since purchase, you cannot redownload.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote