View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb1 View Post
As a purpose-built reading device, the DR800 has many good qualities; I'm simply unwilling to give up the affordances of something as basic as paper without getting something else in return. The ability to jot down a quick note in the margin of a book is something that every other current-generation eReader (AFAIK) attempts to replicate with text or pen-based annotation. The DR800 doesn't just fail to implement this standard (or at least common) reading/eReader function, if fails to do so while simultaneously including hardware (a Wacom digitizer) that in any other device (from $60 graphics tablets to $2500 Tablet PCs) would be utilized for more than just tapping on icons.
They've said that annotation support is being added. We'll see if/when that happens.

Quote:
As for network connectivity, my point is similar. The DR800SG connects directly to the Internet - no need to plug into a computer or traverse a wireless LAN. Yet the only thing you can access with this Internet connection is the B&N mobile site and some overpriced newspapers - you can't even e-mail your own files to your device.
The issue here is that you're not paying for the 3G connectivity. Because of that, Verizon is going to be pretty restrictive of what you're really going to be allowed to do with it. With the iLiads, you had a wifi connection (which you paid for yourself) so could do anything you wanted with it. With the 3G, the only way Verizon is getting paid for your bandwidth usage is by taking a cut from the retailers that they allow you to connect to.

I'm hopeful that somebody will figure out a way of getting 3rd party apps to use the connectivity, but I don't think Verizon will be very happy about it if they do.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote