View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingzombie View Post
* Privacy. Can Amazon really see what personal content I have on my reader at all times? If I have de-DRM'd content on there, can they see it? Can they remove it?
I don't think they care. If they did we would be hearing reports from people with deDRM'd book having issues. There have been none.

Quote:
* The screen. I've read several reports about how fragile the screen is. Are these really just isolated reports, or is this really a common occurance? If you've had a screen break, how did it break and how was Amazon customer service to work with regarding this issue?
All current e-ink screens (except the not yet released Que) have glass substrates, so they are all fragile. You just have to treat them with respect. I have dropped my K2 face down while in a cover and I've even sat on it (and I am not petit) and it's still going strong.

Quote:
* The size. How big is the Kindle compared to say my old Palm T/X or the Sony Readers? I want something smaller than my netbook because I'm tired of lugging it around, and it's clunky to use when all I want to do is read a book. Am I going to be able to carry the Kindle in my purse/bag? With the (possible) screen issues would I even want to carry it in my purse/bag? What kind of protective case would you recommend for it?
A six inch screen is a six inch screen no matter the ebook reader. It's the real estate around the six screen that varies from reader to reader. I carry my K2 in my purse and backpack all the time. If you use a teeny tiny little handbag, you may have an issue but you also don't have to carry a huge bag.

As along as you get a cover for it you should be good. I personally am not font of the slip cases because once it's out of the slip case it has no protection.

Quote:
* I really want a device that just reads eBooks, but if it could play MP3's as well that would be a bonus. Can the K2 do this? If so, how difficult is it to get (and use) the music on the device, and does listening to music deplete the battery more rapidly?
if you have not visited Amazon to see the features of the Kindle 2 , you should really take a look (and watch the videos). Yes, the Kindle does have an mp3 player. It will deplete the battery faster but I couldn't tell you fast as I don't use that feature.

Quote:
* If I shop at Fictionwise, or BoB, do I have to pay a fee to get the book onto my Kindle via the "whispernet?"
Yes you would pay a 15 cent per 1MB fee (rounded up) if you have content sent to your Kindle from a a source other than Amazon. It would be better to use the USB cable in those instances.

Quote:
What is the one thing you love most about your Kindle that you can't live without? What is the one thing you wish your Kindle had/did that it doesn't?
I love the keyboard because it gives me access to search within the Kindle and the Kindle store (from the Kindle) and the occasional foray with the Kindle web browser. I love having page turn button on both sides so that I can use either hand when reading. The buttons are also in a comfortable location for my thumbs. I love that 95%+ of the time I can find the books I want to read on Amazon at a good price without having to search around.

I do wish there was a way to manage books better on the Kindle itself because when you have a lot of books you *have* to use the search function. We need either tagging or folder abilities.

Good luck with your decision.

Edit: Susan reminded me, I love the 6 font sizes as well. My eyes are old and reading on my K2 is much easier than reading a pbook.

Last edited by daffy4u; 01-13-2010 at 07:05 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote