Thread: Aura HD Setting up new Kobo
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #29
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Care to guess how long it would have taken to do this for over 2 thousand computers, printers, access points, etc. manually?

For me, not using DHCP ranks with chipping flint to make tools.
I think you're generalizing here, the above example is clearly one where DHCP is ideal. I don't think anyone is suggesting that static IPs are ideal in all, or even most, scenarios.

In my case, on my small private LAN, I have a handful of devices where I sometimes need to connect. For example I have a camera that doesn't have a netbios name, and it has a setup page I can access at http://192.168.x.x.x. I also have an IP phone, TV set, and a few other things I may need to connect to either via a browser or telnet or FTP.

Some work with netbios hostnames, some don't. Over the years I found it simpler to assign a static IP so there is no question how to connect to the device.

For things that I don't care about connecting to, like my cellphone, I let that get an IP from DHCP.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote