View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #52
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
That's great, and I understand that POV. However, what people don't always consider is that one day someone else might release a device you want, or your Kindle will break, or Amazon might stop making them or something, and you won't be able to take any of those books with you. THAT is the real issue with DRM.
1. I only buy e-books I only intend to read once. If I love it I'll buy a paper book as I prefer them anyway.

But I VERY rarely ever re-read books--doubt there's 10 books I've re-read in my lifetime. Just a waste IMO vs. reading something new for the first time. So I pretty much treat e-books like a rental.

And on top of that, any DRM scheme is easy to strip for people so inclined, so it's pretty much moot anyway.

Quote:
I do not consider myself a 'power user' as far as computers go, but if I could not use powerpoint slides, this could not replace my netbook. One of the primary teaching tools I use with my students is setting stories or songs to Powerpoint so we can all follow along together. I don't do fancy Powerpoint, but I do use it.
I'm not an apple user, but I'm pretty sure all the MS Office programs, including powrepoint have been availabe on Macs for a while.

I used powerpoint in my class last semester, but I'm not this semester. Students mostly complained about it, and I spent way too much time making slides when I could have just use the document camera/wrote on the black board and had more time to spend on my research work.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote