View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I'm still fussing about trying to get ePub to mobi conversions showing the cover page as the first page when a Kindle ebook is opened. I still can't believe that Kindle deliberately chooses to bypass the cover page, for three reasons:
- At least one of the Kindle ebooks I opened did open at the cover
- If one forgets to tell calibre to delete the second cover graphic when one is converting from ePub to mobi and one gets two covers then the ebook does open at the cover page - and of course shows the the other cover graphic next.
- There is a section in the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines (p9-10) about cover image guidelines. Unfortunately I can't understand it at all.

I have attached the content.opf file from a poetry book I'm working on. Could some kind soul please look at it and tell me what to insert into the content.opf file to have a chance to get a Kindle ebook to open at the cover page?

The other idea I've had is to deliberately make the cover image in the ePub version a small image, and rely on the second image produced by Calibre to be the cover image. As I mentioned earlier the ebook will open at that image, and then show the smaller XHTML cover.

Of course I'd need to do another ePub version later with a full sized cover, but it would be worth the effort.

Thanks in advance, Alex
Attached Files
File Type: opf content.opf (2.2 KB, 446 views)
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote