View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I once played a fun game with my wife: I burned CDs with the identical music, one sourced from 320k mp3 files, the other lossless. Then we did double blind tests on each other on our pretty good stereo. Neither of us managed to identify the mp3s.

And yet: I listen to lossless only, because listening to mp3s gives me a headache after a while. I guess supplying all that missing sound puts stress on the brain.
One thing you do get with MP3 is a squashing of the soundstage. Sometimes an MP3 can have a wider sound, but there is less space between the sounds.

One thing a lot of people do not get is that frequencies you cannot hear can have an effect on frequencies you can hear. So dropping frequencies just because some people cannot hear them can effect what you can hear.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-28-2018 at 11:52 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote