View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Pros:
  1. Excellent hardware: HD display and good build quality
  2. Good software (particularly the inclusion of FBReader)
  3. For somebody who could not try-before-buy, the availability of a manual online (this cuts down the uncertainty about the likely reader-experience considerably -- and meant that I had reasonable certainty about (2) before purchasing)

Cons:
  1. Counter-intuitive page-turn button assignments (I'm still frequently, but mistakenly, pushing the bottom-right button for next-page).
  2. More limited customisation options than my old PB360 (though mitigated somewhat by options in Dmitry's OTFM). The ones that I miss most are button-reassignment (see above) and the ability to set last-page-viewed as load-up screen.
  3. The touchscreen, a bunch of minor niggles. (i) Lack of a button to turn off/on the touchscreen. I'm not sure anybody does this, but it would be a really good idea. Although the touchscreen is very handy when you're navigating between books or changing settings, you're only doing this 1-5% of the time. The rest of the time the touchscreen is simply an accidental-command waiting to happen. (ii) Touchscreen icons set too closely to the corners to be easy to press. (iii) Touchscreen items displayed so closely together that it is too easy to press the wrong one by mistake (this is particularly a problem with the recently-read list.

I would point out that my 'Cons' are more minor caveats on my #2 'Pro', as opposed to anything major in their own right. Overall, I'm very happy with my i62HD, both as good value-for-money/reading-experience and as demonstrably the best eReader for my needs currently available.

Addendum & counter-caveat to Con#2 above -- I definitely prefer Onyx's listing eBooks by filename as opposed to Pockbook's listing by title-metadata. It makes it far easier to arrange book-series into their correct reading order.

Last edited by Hrafn; 09-07-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Addendum & counter-caveat
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote