View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 01:21 AM   #36
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dugger View Post
I feel as if I ask for the sun, the moon, and the stars, but if I don't ask...
Ask and you shall receive. I think almost everything you asked for is now available either through this metadata plugin or the GUI plugin I just published.

Quote:
The field series may map to the column Series;
This plugin will import that now along with series index. Series data is in the todo list for the GUI version of the plugin, both the simple version in this plugin and an extended version that can generate indexes from prevous/next columns. It'll be interesting to see how well that works if I get around to it.

Quote:
genre to a custom column "Genre;" and so on.

publisher to Publisher

illustrator to a custom column of the same name
These would be easy to add by importing the properties. Illustrator and genre are already in the defaults as examples. Note that you have to create the custom column yourself.

Quote:
language of work or name to Languages (though this should append, and not overwrite)
This one is messier; I haven't tried importing it. If the languages is a multivalue field, it might work as is; uncheck the overwrite column to merge data in multivalue columns.

Quote:
publication date to Published
This is another messy one; Do you want the publication date of the current edition, or the oldest date for any edition? Maybe you want the inception date rather than the publication date? This plugin does a simplistic job at attempting to grab the oldest date out of several.

I'll be writing code for the GUI plugin eventually to handle some of these cases in a more sophisticated way and track down metadata shared by multiple editions but not propagated. For now, you can directly import edition publication date and inception date and give a priority between them. Eventually, I might add merge rules of some sort. (Average publication date anyone?)

Quote:
narrative locations and characters also to a custom column of the same name, but these two wikidata properties might only apply to fiction...
In my set of test books, I found a surprising number of non-fiction books that included location and characters. Importing characters can quickly make a mess. One of the books put several hundred characters into a tags field.

The way I have it now, you can import these directly, unchanged, or run them through the entity filter and pick and choose how many you want to keep and if you want to respell them.

Quote:
The Commons category and the topic's main category as tags
That should work, but I didn't test it. I suppose the commons category could come in as a link as well, but I didn't even look to see if that is possible from the calibre side.

Quote:
All available identifiers as Ids.
That is there and somewhat well tested, although as per discussion above, I may change how it works internally.

Note that wikidata supports somewhere on the order of 3500 identifiers, so "all available" may become silly fast. What I support is importing identifiers in selected books into the preferences editor for filtering, adjusting, and manual labeling. Currently, only one identifier of each type is supported. I think this can be fixed, but I don't currently have plans for it.

Last edited by compurandom; 01-14-2019 at 01:29 AM.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote